Speaking Engagements: We regularly speak before professional organizations regarding recent changes to California’s employment laws as well as topics of interest to various industries.
Upcoming Presentations include:
- April 24, 2018, Contra Costa County Employer Advisory Council, “Sexual Harassment Prevention in the Age Of #metoo and #timesup” – interactive two hour sexual harassment prevention training. Topics include: 1) Current examples, dilemmas, 2) Best practice strategies, 3) Update on new laws/requirements including bullying, gender identity and gender expression, and social media issues, and 4) Bring your current harassment policy and your complaint procedure and see how they compare to recommended policies. This program is intended to satisfy California training requirements for supervisors.
- May 15, 2018, California Lawyer’s Association Labor and Employment Section via grant to Contra Costa County Bar Association, Presentation: “Top 5 Tips For California Employers in 2018” – two hour presentation covering topics including 1) New laws on hiring inquiries regarding salary history and criminal backgrounds, 2) Drugs/cannabis in the workplace, 3) Responding to sexual harassment complaints, 4) Overview of the intersection of leaves of absence, disability accommodations, and workers compensation leave, and 5) Requirements when responding to requests for personnel files and payroll records.
- May 22, 2018, San Francisco Legal Professionals Association: “Social Media: Employment Law and Ethics Issues for Legal Professionals” – presentation and discussion regarding risks and best practices for addressing employee social media use in the workplace, and professional and ethical issues regarding social media in client litigation matters.
A partial list of past speaking engagements includes:
- December 2017, The Knowledge Group Webinar: “Social Media in the Workplace: Opportunities and Legal Challenges Uncovered!”
- June 2017, Paychex HR and First Bank: Guest Speaker “California Wage and Hour Laws”
- May 2017, State Bar of California, Labor and Employment Section via grant to Contra Costa County Bar Association, Presentation: “Top 5 Legal Risks For Employers”
- February 2017, Paychex HR and Mechanics Bank: Guest Speaker “California Wage and Hour Laws”
- October 2016, The Knowledge Group Webinar: “BYOD and Social Media in the Workplace: Managing Privacy and Legal Risks for Employers”
- April 2016, Strategies Publishing Group, Inc. Webinar: “How California Bill 1513 Is Forcing Commissioned Salons & Spas To Change How They Pay”
- March 2016, State Bar of California, Labor and Employment Section via grant to Contra Costa County Bar Association Presentation: “Employment Law 101, For Small Businesses, Including Law Firms”
- February 2016, Financial Executives International (FEI) Presentation: “Sex, Wages and Personal Liability: Employment Law Update 2016”
- January 2016, Alameda County Bar Association (ACBA) Presentation: “Ethics of Social Media Marketing for Attorneys”
- January 2016, Social Media Summit; Summit Keynote Speaker: “Top Legal Risks of Social Media in the Workplace”
- February 2015, Financial Executives International (FEI) Presentation: “Sex, Drugs and Severance Agreements: Employment Law Update 2015”
- January 2015, Social Media Summit; Panelist: “Social Media Strategies for Business Owners”
- May 2014, Presentation: “Legal Pitfalls for Start Ups and Small Business”
- January 2014, Contra Costa County Bar Association (CCCBA) Presentation: “2014 Employment Law Update”
- August 2013, Contra Costa County Bar Association (CCCBA) Presentation: “BYOD: Bring Your Own Device”
- June 2013, Contra Costa County Bar Association (CCCBA) Presentation: “Investing In the Future With Diversity – Building A Better Law Practice”
- February 2013, Human Resources Non-Profit Professionals Network (HRNPPN) Presentation: “2013 Employment Law Update”
- January 2013, Contra Costa County Bar Association (CCCBA) Presentation: “2013 Employment Law Update”
- September 2012, Contra Costa County Bar Association (CCCBA) Presentation: “Litigation Survival Tools For Solos”
- August 2012, Human Resources Non-Profit Professionals Network (HRNPPN) Presentation: “Social Media – What HR Needs to Know”
- March 2012, Greater Stockton California Employer Advisory Council Presentation: “Wage & Hour Law: Hot Topics From Hiring to Termination”
- December 2009, Northern California Human Resources Association (NCHRA) Presentation: “Disability Bias Law: The New ADAAA and Issues for Employers”
- April 2009, State Fund’s Employer Education Series: “Mastering Difficult Employer Risks: The Economic Crisis – Handling Reductions in Force and Terminations without Getting Sued”